Some notable alumni who graduated with degrees in engineering and applied sciences
Steve Ballmer AB '77, CEO of Microsoft Corporation
- Leo Beranek Ph.D. (SD '40), HBS AMP '65, former president BBN Technologies, National Medal of Science winner
Hynd Bouhia Ph.D. '98, Director, Casablanca Stock Exchange
- Fred Brooks Ph.D. '56, Kenan Prof. Of CS, U of North Carolina, software engineer and computer scientist, best-known for managing the development of OS/360, then later writing candidly about the process in his seminal book The Mythical Man-Month. "It is a very humbling experience to make a multi-million-dollar mistake, but it is also very memorable." Brooks received a Turing Award in 1999 and many other awards.
- Joanne Chang AB '91, Owner of Flour Bakery
- George David AB '64, Former Chairman and CEO of United Technologies
- Shaun Donovan AB '87, Masters in Architecture and Public Administration ’95, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
- Danielle Feinberg AB '96, Technical Director, Pixar Animation Studios
Victor Fung Ph.D. '71, Chairman, Li and Fung Ltd.
- Bill Gates LLD '07, Co-Founder and Chairman of Microsoft Corporation
- Paul Graham AB '85, programmer, venture capitalist, and essayist. He is known for his work on Lisp and for co-founding Viaweb, which eventually became the Yahoo! Store web system. He is the author of On Lisp (1993), ANSI Common Lisp (1995), and Hackers & Painters (2004).
- Trip Hawkins AB '76, Founder of Electronic Arts, The 3DO Company, and Digital Chocolate. (Trip designed his own major at Harvard in Strategy and Applied Game Theory.)
- Tony Hsieh AB '95, current CEO of online shoe seller Zappos.com. Prior to joining Zappos, Hsieh co-founded and sold the internet advertising network LinkExchange to Microsoft.
- Joe Marks Ph.D. '91, VP of R&D Disney Animation Studios
- Bob Metcalfe Ph.D. '73, MIT/Harvard, Polaris Partners, National Medal of Technology, co-invention of Ethernet
- Ali Partovi AB '94, CEO of
Hadi Partovi AB '94, Senior Vice President, MySpace
- Choon Fong Shih Ph.D. '73, President of KAUST, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology in Saudi Arabia
- Craig Silverstein AB '94, Director of Technology,Google
- Guy Steele AB '75, Distinguished Engineer, Sun Microsystems, Grace Murray Hopper Award
- Alan Taub Ph.D. ’79, Executive Director, GM Research and Development
- Stephanie Wilson SB '88, NASA Astronaut
Daniel Yates AB '99, CEO of Positive Energy, a leading developer of energy efficiency information products