How to Declare a Concentration in Computer Science

If you are interested in concentrating in Computer Science, please look over the Fields of Concentration page, and/or consult the CS 50 Guide to Computer Science at Harvard. You may wish to meet with the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) in CS, Professor Harry Lewis (see his home page,, for office hours and contact information). Students proposing to pursue the MBB track should instead meet with Prof. Stuart Shieber,

Then please fill out a Plan of Study (Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice format) for the CS concentration. On your Plan of Study, please indicate whether your program is basic, honors, joint, or MBB, and then follow the directions. This will take only a few minutes and will be instructive even if you aren't sure what courses you should take or even if you really want to concentrate in the field. If you fill out the Plan of Study with the Fields of Concentration page open, you can easily see which courses count in which category. Email the completed form to for approval. This form is for our internal departmental bookkeeping—filling it out does not officially make you a concentrator.

Once the DUS has approved your CS Plan of Study, you may use to formally declare (or transfer to) Computer Science as a concentration. If a CS Plan of Study has been approved per the steps outlined above, the DUS will use to approve your declaration and will upload your CS Plan of Study file to your “Reports and Documents” section in

Feel free to meet with the DUS at any time. Once your declaration has been approved, the DUS will assign you an advisor from among the CS faculty. (The DUS will try to honor preferences you may express, so it's fine to look at the list of CS faculty before you come in.)