Science and Engineering Complex
150 Western Avenue
Completed in 2020, the SEC is most significant new building constructed by Harvard in a generation.
SEAS Administration and the labs and offices of approximately half of the SEAS faculty are housed in this building, along with student- and industry-facing departments, sloped and flexible flat classrooms, maker space and teaching labs, a library, café, dedicated space for student organizations, and extensive common space to encourage interaction and collaboration.
- Built: 2020
- Architects: Behnisch Architekten
- Program: Classrooms; Teaching Labs; Research Labs; Library; Faculty Offices; Administration and Staff; Student Offices; Research Staff; Undergraduate and Graduate Student Lounges, Café
- Areas/Offices: Dean’s Office; Administration; Bioengineering; Computer Science; Data Science, and Computational Science and Engineering programs, some Electrical Engineering and Materials Science/Mechanical Engineering
- Gross SF: 500,000 GSF
114 Western Avenue
Completely renovated in 2019, 114 Western Avenue (opening fall 2020) houses classrooms, SEAS administrative offices, and a University childcare center.
- Renovated: 2019
- Architects: Baker Design Group
- Program: Classrooms; Administration and Staff; Childcare Center
- Areas/Offices: Academic Affairs; Communications; Events; Finance; Human Resources
- Gross SF: 80,000