Description and Eligibility
Research Associates are paid appointees supporting research projects under the direction of a principal investigator and who generally have at least three years of postdoctoral experience. A doctoral degree is required.
- Eligible for Harvard employee benefits
- Three month minimum appointment
- May be reappointed annually; reappointment beyond eight years requires review
Please note that many research associate positions require a search. Once a faculty member or administrator is aware of an upcoming Research Associate appointment, they should notify the relevant Academic Appointments Manager, who will help assess the need for a search and provide advice on documenting a search, if necessary.
Please see the FAS Appointment and Promotion Handbook for additional details and policies and procedures regarding Research Associate appointments, which are governed by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS).
Appointment Checklist (for Administrators)
For new appointments of Research Associates, the following information should be provided to the relevant Academic Appointments Manager:
- Offer Letter to Research Associate
- Research Associate’s CV
- Affirmative Action applicant tracking form and summary form (2 documents)
- Copy of job posting(s) OR reason for exemption from a search (see applicant tracking form for exemptions)
- Three letters of recommendation
- English Language Proficiency Form (for international scholars)
New Research Associates will be required to sign a Participation Agreement before their appointment can begin.
For Postdoctoral Fellows being reclassified to Research Associates, the following information should be provided to the relevant Academic Appointments Manager:
See the Harvard International Office Visa Information page