The Applied Math Lab
We are interested in understanding the organization of matter in space and time, particularly at the scale observable by our unaided senses. We use a combination of techniques to pursue this, ranging from simple observations of phenomena to quantitative experiments and theory. Many of the topics that we work on start with our everyday experiences of the mundane, which by its very nature is robust. The challenge is to abstract out some principle from a phenomenon that is of relevance far beyond the particular manifestation of it. We have a small but growing laboratory for tinkering around while characterizing macroscopic living and nonliving systems.
- Growth patterns for shape-shifting elastic bilayers
W. M. van Rees, E. Vouga, and L. Mahadevan, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1709025114, 2017.
- Excitable dynamics and yap-dependent mechanical cues drive the segmentation clock
A. Hubaud, I. Regev, L. Mahadevan, O. Pourquié, Cell 171, 1-15, 2017.
- Avian egg shape: Form, function, and evolution
M.C. Stoddard, E.H. Yong, D. Akkaynak, C. Sheard, J.A. Tobias, L. Mahadevan, Science 356, 1249-1254, 2017.
- Controlled growth and form of precipitating microsculptures
C. N. Kaplan, W. L. Noorduin, L. Li, R. Sadza, L. Folkertsma, J. Aizenberg, L. Mahadevan, Science 355, 1395-99, 2017.
- Biomimetic 4D printing
A. S. Gladman, E. A. Matsumoto, R.G. Nuzzo, L. Mahadevan, and J.A. Lewis, Nature Materials, 15, 413-19, 2016.
- Programming curvature using origami tessellations
L.H. Dudte, E. Vouga, T. Tachi and L. Mahadevan, Nature Materials, 15, 583-88, 2016.
- On the growth and form of cortical convolutions
T. Tallinen, J.Y. Chung, F. Rousseau, N. Girard, J. Lefèvre, and L. Mahadevan, Nature Physics, 12, 588-93, 2016.
- Integrative neuromechanics of crawling in D. melanogaster larvae
C. Pehlevan, P. Paoletti, L Mahadevan eLife, 5:e11031, 2016.
- Directional memory arises from long-lived cytoskeletal asymmetries in polarized chemotactic cells
H.V. Prentice-Mott, Y. Meroz, A. Carlson, M.A. Levine, M W. Davidson, D. Irimia, G.T. Charras, L. Mahadevan, and J.V. Shah, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 113, 1267-72, 2016.
- Termite mounds harness diurnal temperature oscillations for ventilation
H. King, S. Ocko, and L. Mahadevan, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, 37, 11589–11593, 2015
- Gait and speed selection in slender inertial swimmers
M. Gazzolaa, M. Argentina and L. Mahadevan, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, 13, 2015
- Collective thermoregulation in bee clusters
S. Ocko and L. Mahadevan, Journal of the Royal Society - Interface 11, 20131033, 2014.
- Scaling macroscopic aquatic locomotion
M. Gazzola, M. Argentina and L. Mahadevan, Nature Physics, 10, 758-61, 2014.
- Gyrification from constrained cortical expansion
T. Tallinen, J.Y. Chung, J.S. Biggins, and L. Mahadevan, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), 111, 35:12667-12672, 2014.
- The dynamics of sperm cooperation in a competitive environment
H.S. Fisher, L. Giomi, H.E. Hoekstra and L. Mahadevan, Proceedings of the Royal Society (B), 281, 20140296, 2014.
- Hydrodynamics of hemostasis in sickle-cell disease
S.I.A. Cohen and L. Mahadevan, Physical Review Letters, 110, 138104, 2013.
- Geometric mechanics of periodic pleated origami
Z.Y. Wei, Z.V. Guo, L. Dudte, H.Y. Liang, and L. Mahadevan, Physical Review Letters, 110, 215501, 2013.
- Villification: how the gut gets its villi
A. Shyer, T. Tallinen, N. Nerurkar, Z. Wei, E. Kim, D. Kaplan, C. Tabin and L. Mahadevan Science, 342, 212-218, 2013.
- The cytoplasm of living cells behaves as a poroelastic material
E. Moeendarbary, L. Valon, M. Fritzsche, A.R. Harris, D.A. Moulding, A.J. Thrasher, E. Stride, L. Mahadevan, and G.T. Charras, Nature Materials, 12, 253-261, 2013.
- How the cucumber tendril coils and overwinds
S.J. Gerbode, J.R. Puzey, A.G. McCormick, L. Mahadevan, Science 337, 1087, 2012.