- B.Sc., 1968, Applied Physics (First Class Honors), Sussex University, UK
- PhD., 1974, Physics, Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge University
- Materials & Devices
- Electromagnetics and Nanoelectronics
- Materials Science
Primary Teaching Area
Secondary Teaching Area
David Clarke pursues three primary areas of research: high temperature materials, including thermal barrier coatings; materials for electronics and MEMS devices; and electrical and piezoelectric properties of ceramics. The research includes the development and application of novel sensor for measuring stress and temperature with a focus on optical based methods.
He received his Ph.D. in Physics from Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge, England and B.Sc. (First Class Honors) in Applied Sciences from the University of Sussex, England.
Prior to his appointment at Harvard, Clarke was a Professor of Materials at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He also served as Senior Manager of the Materials Department at IBM Research Division in Yorktown Heights, New York; an Associate Professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology; and had appointments at Rockwell International Science Center and the University of California, Berkeley.
Clarke has been involved in many different materials research and development programs, contributing to ceramics, metals, composites and semiconductors, as well as introducing new approaches for studying the interrelations between microstructure and properties. He is author or co-author of more than 350 papers, holder of 6 patents, and a member of the National Academy of Engineering.
Positions & Employment
Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Gordon McKay Professor of Materials
- Distinguished Life Member of the American Ceramic Society (ACS), 2009
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1999
- Academician, International Academy of Ceramics, 1995
- Co-editor of Annual Reviews of Materials Research, 1997-present
- Member of the Editorial Board, Cambridge Solid State Science Series, Cambridge University Press, 1993-1997
- Chair, Basic Science Division, American Ceramic Society. 1991-1992
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Senior Scientist Award, 1992
- Fellow of the American Ceramic Society, 1985
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 1986
- Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Solid State Studies in Ceramics, 1982
- Associate Editor, Journal of the American Ceramic Society
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Philosophical Magazine, part A.
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board, Materials Science and Technology, a 17 volume treatise on materials (VCH Publishers)
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Interface Science
- Edward C. Henry Award, Electronics Division, American Ceramics Society, 1999
- Sosman Memorial Award, American Ceramics Society, 1999
- Van Horn Lectureship, Case Western Reserve University, 1999
- Morrison Lectureship, Brockhouse Institute, McMaster University, 1998
- Doctor of Science, University of Cambridge, 1994
- Richard M. Fulrath Pacific Memorial Award, 1989
- The Ross Coffin Purdy Award of the American Ceramic Society, 1982
- A. M. Limarga, R. Vaben, D.R. Clarke, Stress Distributions in Plasma-Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coatings Under Thermal Cycling in a Temperature Gradient, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 78, 011003 (2011).
- A. M. Limarga, J. Iveland, M. Gentleman, D. M. Lipkin, The use of Larson–Miller parameters to monitor the evolution of Raman lines of tetragonal zirconia with high temperature aging, Acta Materialia, 59 1162–1167 (2011).
- T. D. Sparks, P. A. Fuierer and D. R. Clarke, Anisotropic Thermal Diffusivity and Conductivity of La-doped Strontium Niobate, Sr2Nb2O7, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 93  1136-1141 (2010).
- Y. Shen, R. M. Leckie, C. G. Levi and D. R. Clarke, Low Thermal Conductivity Without Oxygen Vacancies in Equi-Molar YO1.5+TaO2.5 and YbO1.5+TaO2.5 Stabilized Zirconia Ceramics, Acta Materialia, 58 4424–4431 (2010).
- T. Sparks, P. Wei and D. R. Clarke, Thermal Conductivity of the Rare-Earth Strontium Aluminates, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 93 (2010).
- L. G. Chen, A. M. Limarga and D. R. Clarke, A New Data Reduction Method of Pulse Diffusivity Measurements on Layered Materials, Computational Materials Science 50 77-82 (2010).
- Yang Shen and D. R. Clarke, Effects of Reducing Atmosphere on the Luminescence of Eu3+ doped Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia Sensor Layers in Thermal Barrier Coatings, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 92  125-129 (2009).
- V. K. Tolpygo and D. R. Clarke, Rumpling of CVD (Ni,Pt)Al Diffusion Coatings Under Intermediate Temperature Cycling, Surface and Coatings Technology, 203 3278-3285 (2009).
- M.D. Chambers and D.R. Clarke, Doped Oxides for High-Temperature Luminescence and Lifetime Thermometry, Annual Reviews of Materials Research, 39: 325-59 (2009).
- J. Chevalier, L. Gremillard, A. Virkar, and D.R. Clarke, The Tetragonal-Monoclinic Transformation in Zirconia: Lessons Learned and Future Trends, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 92  1901-1920 (2009).
- A. Chernatynskiy, R.W. Grimes, M.A. Zurbuchen, D.R. Clarke, and S.R. Phillpot, Crossover in thermal transport properties of natural, perovskite-structured superlattices, Applied Physics Letters 95, 161906 (2009).
- S. Dryepondt and D. R. Clarke, Effect of Superimposed Uniaxial Stress on Rumpling of Platinum-Modified Nickel Aluminide Coatings, Acta Materialia, 57 2321-2327 (2009).
- M. D. Chambers, P. A. Rousseve and D. R. Clarke, Decay Pathway and High-Temperature Luminescence of Eu3+ in Ca2Gd8Si6O26, Journal of Luminescence 129, 263-269 (2009).
- T. Duong, A. M. Limarga and D. R. Clarke, Diffusion of Water Species in Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 92  2731-2737 (2009).
- S. Dryepondt and D. R. Clarke, Cyclic Oxidation Induced Cracking of Platinum Modified Nickel Aluminide Coatings, Scripta Materialia, 60 917-920 (2009).
- S. Dryepondt, J. Porter and D. R. Clarke, On the Initiation of Cyclic Oxidation-Induced Rumpling of Platinum-Modified Nickel Aluminide Coatings, Acta Materialia, 57 1717-1723 (2009)
- T. Kakuda, A. M. Limarga, T. D. Bennett and D. R. Clarke, Evolution of Thermal Properties of EB-PVD 7YSZ Thermal Barrier Coatings with Thermal Cycling, Acta Materialia, 57 2583-2591 (2009).
- L. G. Chen and D. R. Clarke, A Numerical Solution Based Parameter Estimation Method for Thermal Flash Diffusivity Measurements, Journal of Computational Materials Science, 45 342 (2009).
- A. M. Limarga and D. R. Clarke, Characterization of EB-PVD Thermal Barrier Coatings by Diffuse Optical Reflectance, International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology, 6  400–409 (2009)