- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Marriage of Biological & Artificial Systems
- Biomechanics and Motor Control
- Cell and Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials
- Materials & Devices
- Biophysics and Self-Assembly
Primary Teaching Area
The basic question that drives Mooney's research is: how do mammalian cells receive information from the materials in their environment.
By utilizing the tools of cell and molecular biology, he studies the mechanisms by which chemical (for example, specific cell adhesion molecules) or mechanical signals (for example, cyclic strain) are sensed by cells and alter their proliferation and specialization to either promote tissue growth or destruction.
Mooney uses the results from these studies to design and synthesize new biomaterials that regulate the gene expression of interacting cells for a variety of tissue engineering and drug delivery projects. Current projects focus on therapeutic angiogenesis, regeneration of musculoskeletal tissues, and cancer therapies.
- Lee K, Hahn LD, Yuen WW, Vlamakis H, Kolter R, Mooney DJ. Bioimaging: metal-enhanced fluorescence to quantify bacterial adhesion. Advanced Materials. 2011 Mar; 23:21433099.
- Kolambkar YM, Dupont KM, Boerckel JD, Huebsch N, Mooney DJ, Hutmacher DW, Guldberg RE. An alginate-based hybrid system for growth factor delivery in the functional repair of large bone defects. Biomaterials. 2011 Jan; 32(1): 65-74:20864165.
- Zhao X, Kim J, Cezar CA, Huebsch N, Lee K, Bouhadir K, Mooney DJ. Active scaffolds for on-demand drug and cell delivery. Proc Natl Acad Sci . 2011 Jan; 108(1): 67-72:21149682.
- Tayalia P, Mazur E, Mooney DJ. Controlled architectural and chemotactic studies of 3D cell migration. Biomaterials. 2011 Jan; 32(10):21237507.
- Lee K, Silva EA, Mooney DJ. Growth factor delivery-based tissue engineering: general approaches and a review of recent developments. J R Soc Interface. 2011 Feb; 8(55): 153-70:20719768.
- Arany P, Mooney D.. At the edge of translation - materials to program cells for directed differentiation. Oral Dis. 2010 Sep; 1:20860763.
- Yuen WW, Du NR, Chan CH, Silva EA, Mooney DJ. Mimicking nature by codelivery of stimulant and inhibitor to create temporally stable and spatially restricted angiogenic zones.. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2010 Oct; 107(42): 17933-8:20921366.
- Hahn LD, Kong H, Mooney DJ.. Polycation structure mediates expression of lyophilized polycation/pDNA complexes.. Macromol Biosci. . 2010 Oct; 10(10): 1210-5:20572272.
- Ali OA, Mooney DJ. Immunologically Active Biomaterials for Cancer Therapy.. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol.. 2010 Jun; 1:20556594.
- Huebsch N, Arany PR, Mao AS, Shvartsman D, Ali OA, Bencherif SA, Rivera-Feliciano J, Mooney DJ. Harnessing traction-mediated manipulation of the cell/matrix interface to control stem-cell fate.. Nature Materials. 2010 Jun; 9(6): 518-26:20418863.