- About SEAS
- Faculty & Research
- News & Events
- Offices & Services
- Make a Gift
The Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences' doctoral and master’s degree programs lie at the interfaces of engineering, the applied sciences, and technology. SEAS brings the full resources of the University to bear to enable new discoveries and innovations.
In keeping with the interdisciplinary nature of modern research, we do not have traditional academic departments and do not award degrees by specific research area. Instead, graduate students work toward a degree in one of seven subjects—Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics, Computer Science, Computational Science & Engineering, Data Science, Design Engineering, and Engineering Sciences.
On the left panel you will find links to information on our graduate programs.
- Applying as a Graduate Student links to our pages for prospective graduate students.
- Graduate Degree Requirements provides a brief overview of the requirements for the S.M., M.E., and Ph.D. degrees.
- Ph.D. Model Programs describes area-specific course requirements and model course programs for Ph.D. students.
- The Ph.D. Timeline details when various requirements and milestones are expected to occur for a typical Ph.D. student.
- S.M. Degree Requirements describes SEAS-wide and area-specific course and program requirements for S.M. students.
- The Committee on Higher Degrees at SEAS establishes policies for the S.M., M.E., and Ph.D. programs, which are summarized in the Policies of the CHD document.
- The Forms & Letters page lists several academic forms for current graduate students.
- Contacts links to the Office of Academic Programs (formerly the Student Affairs Office) page of staff contacts for students and faculty.
Terminal Degree Listing
- Applied Mathematics (Ph.D.)
- Applied Physics, including a Materials Science Track (Ph.D.)
- Business Analytics (online certificate program)
- Computational Science and Engineering (S.M., M.E., Secondary Field for Ph.D. students)
- Computer Science (Ph.D.)
- Data Science (S.M.)
- Engineering Sciences
- Master in Design Engineering (M.D.E.)
- MS/MBA: Engineering Sciences joint degree program with Harvard Business School
All subjects above (except for M.D.E., MS/MBA: Engineering Sciences, Business Analytics, and Data Science) also participate in the A.B./S.M. program, which is only available for current Harvard undergraduate students.
Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics, Bioengineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Science and Engineering, and Materials Science and Mechanical Engineering do not offer terminal S.M. or M.E. degrees. S.M. degrees in these fields can be earned only by current Harvard students, either en-route to the Ph.D. degree or (for Harvard College students) via the A.B./S.M. program.
Collaborative Programs with MIT and Harvard HST
Medical Engineering and Medical Physics Program
The five- to six-year Medical Engineering and Medical Physics Program (MEMP) program leads to the Ph.D. or Sc.D. in Medical Engineering or Medical Physics awarded by MIT, or the Ph.D. awarded by Harvard’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.