Harvard College students are eligible to apply for an AB/SM degree program in any area of SEAS, excluding the Masters in Design Engineering (MDE), Data Science, or MS/MBA: Engineering Sciences programs. Information on the requirements for the SM degree can be found on the S.M. requirements page. Each applicant must submit a complete application to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). See below for additional application instructions for specific class years.
Important: We do not offer an SB/SM degree program.
Current Harvard College AB students: Do you want to learn more about the AB/SM application process? Jump onto one of our virtual information sessions this Fall:
Thursday October 15, 2020 at 1:00pm
Wednesday November 4, 2020 at 10:00am
(Pre-registration is required; link for preregistration will be posted here soon.)
The AB/SM is for currently enrolled Harvard College students only.
Applications to the AB/SM program must be submitted in the Fall term of the student’s junior year.
Be sure to read both the applicable class year instructions and the instructions for all students, below.
Class of 2022 and 2023: Students are expected to activate Advanced Standing if eligible to do so. Read the Office of Undergraduate Education’s Advanced Placement and Advanced Standing policies carefully.
- Questions? Contact the Office of Undergraduate Education via email at email@example.com
- Complete and Submit the Advanced Standing Activation Form to the Office of the Registrar, 4th Floor of the Smith Campus Center.
- Complete and Submit the Bracketing Form to the Office of Undergraduate Education, University Hall, 1st Floor North, by the 5th Monday (for the current semester). For retroactive bracketing, please see your Allston Burr Resident Dean.
If not eligible for Advanced Standing, information about the concurrent masters program in SEAS will be available from SEAS and OUE soon.
Class of 2024 and beyond: Advanced Standing is not available for students in the Class of 2024 and beyond.
1. Speak to your Concentration Advisor and Allston Burr Resident Dean: Discuss the possibility of completing your undergraduate degree requirements and determine if you should consider the AB/SM program at SEAS.
2. Apply for the SEAS AB/SM degree program by December 15, 2020 at 5pm. Note that late applications will not be accepted.
- Submit a Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) graduate application
- Refer to "How to Apply" section in "Graduate Programs" menu.
- GRE and TOEFL/IELTS scores are NOT REQUIRED
3. Post-Application Submission: SEAS will notify you in mid-February if you are admitted to the AB/SM Program. You must formally accept the offer of admission by April 15, 2021. Upon accepting the offer of admission, you will be assigned an academic advisor, who is a member of the SEAS faculty who will help you select courses toward the SM degree. In late Spring, you will be asked to submit an S.M. Program Plan to the SEAS Office of Academic Programs. More information on the requirements for the S.M. degree can be found on the S.M. requirements page.
4. Important Note: You will continue your academic status as an undergraduate at Harvard College. Your AB/SM status will not affect your current financial aid package.