- John A. Paulson Dean
- John A. & Elizabeth S. Armstrong Professor of Engineering & Applied Sciences
- Affiliated Faculty Member, Division of Sleep Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- Faculty Member, Systems Biology PhD Program
Frank Doyle assumed the deanship of the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences on July 1, 2015. A distinguished scholar in chemical engineering, he previously served as associate dean for research at the University of California, Santa Barbara’s College of Engineering, where he has served as chair of the department of chemical engineering.
As a scholar, Doyle applies systems engineering principles to the analysis of regulatory mechanisms in biological systems. His work includes the design of drug-delivery devices for diabetes; modeling, analysis, and control of gene regulatory networks underlying circadian rhythms; and computational analysis for developing diagnostics for post-traumatic stress disorder. Doyle also applies control schemes to nonlinear, multivariable, constrained industrial processes such as particulate systems and pulp and paper operations, and works on control aspects of sheet/film processes.
Positions & Employment
Harvard Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
July 2015-present: John A. Paulson Dean;
John A. and Elizabeth S. Armstrong Professor of Engineering and Applied Sciences
University of California, Santa Barbara
2002-2015: Duncan & Suzanne Mellichamp Endowed Chair in Process Control
2003-2015: Director, Institute for Collaborative Biotechnologies
2008-2015: Associate Dean of Research, College of Engineering
2013-2015: Chair, Department of Chemical Engineering
1997-2002: Associate Professor, Chemical Engineering
Sansum Diabetes Research Institute, Santa Barbara, CA
2003-present: Adjunct Senior Investigator
Institut für Systemtheorie Technischer Prozesse, Unìversìtät Stuttgart, Germany
2001-2002: Humboldt Research Fellow
University of Delaware, Department of Chemical Engineering
1997-2001: Associate Professor
Purdue University, School of Chemical Engineering
1992-1997: Assistant Professor
1997: Associate Professor
- AACC Control Engineering Practice Award, 2015
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Fellow, 2011.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Fellow, 2008.
- Computing in Chemical Engineering Award (AIChE CAST Division), 2005.
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow, 2001-2002.
- ASEE Ray Fahien Award, 2000.
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 1996-1999.
- ASEE Section Outstanding Teacher Award (Illinois/Indiana), 1996.
- National Science Foundation National Young Investigator Award, 1992-1997.