- George Bemis Professor of Law
- Co-Founder and Faculty Co-Director, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Jonathan Zittrain is a Professor at the Harvard Law School, the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
He is a co-founder of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Internet Society and is on the board of advisors for Scientific American.
Previously, he was Professor of Internet Governance and Regulation at Oxford University. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and a Forum Fellow of the World Economic Forum, which has named him a Young Global Leader.
His research interests include battles for control of digital property and content, cryptography, electronic privacy, the roles of intermediaries within Internet architecture, and the useful and unobtrusive deployment of technology in education.
His book, The Future of the Internet -- And How to Stop It, focuses on the future of the now-intertwined Internet and PC, and he has co-edited two studies of Internet filtering by national governments, including Access Denied: The Practice and Policy of Global Internet Filtering.
Positions & Employment
Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- 2010-Present: Professor of Computer Science
Harvard Kennedy School
- 2008:Member of Faculty; Professor of Law
Harvard Law School
- 2008: Professor of Law
- 2007: Co-Founder and Director, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
- 2006-2007: Jack N. & Lillian R. Berkman Visiting Professor for Entrepreneurial Legal Studies
- 2001: Jack N. and Lillian R. Berkman Assistant Professor for Entrepreneurial Legal Studies
- 2000: Faculty Co-Director, Berkman Center for Internet and Society
- 2000: Assistant Professor of Law
- 1997: Lecturer on Law
University of Oxford
- 2005: Chair in Internet Governance and Regulation; principal of the Oxford Internet Institute; Professorial Fellow of Keble College
United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Law clerk for Stephen F. Williams
Department of State and at the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
- 1992, 1992, 1994: Law clerk
- Forum administrator, or sysop, for the online service and chief administrator for private forum for all forum administrators
Other Experience & Professional Membership
- Member, Board of Trustees of the Internet Society
- Member, Board of Directors of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Member, the Board of Advisors for Scientific American