Description and Eligibility
Visiting scholars are paid or unpaid visitors who carry out their own work in association with a Harvard faculty member or members; ordinarily tenured or tenure-track faculty member on leave from a scholarly post elsewhere.
- Individuals may hold this appointment for no more than two consecutive years
- If paid a salary, the position may be benefits eligible.
- Three month minimum appointment
Please see the FAS Appointment and Promotion Handbook for additional details and policies and procedures regarding Visiting Scholar appointments, which are governed by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS).
Appointment Checklist (for Administrators)
For new appointments of visiting scholars, the following information should be provided to the relevant Academic Appointments Manager:
- Offer Letter to the Visiting Scholar
- Request to Dean
- Visiting Scholar's CV
- English Language Proficiency Form (for international scholars)
See the Harvard International Office Visa Information page