How to apply
All prospective graduate students to our Ph.D., M.E., S.M., and A.B./S.M. programs apply to the School of Engineering through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS).
Students interested in the Master in Design Engineering with the Harvard Graduate School of Design will find information about applying to that program here.
Students interested in the MS/MBA: Engineering Sciences program offered jointly with Harvard Business School will find information about applying to that program here.
Students with bachelor's degrees in the natural or quantitative sciences, mathematics, computer science, or engineering are invited to apply.
All students begin graduate study in the fall term only.
What does the application require?
- Completed application form, including SEAS Supplemental Application
- Statement of Purpose
- Three letters of recommendation submitted electronically
- Transcripts; please upload copies of all transcripts to the Academic Background section of the online application; unofficial copies are acceptable.
- C.V. or Resume
- If required, an official ETS GRE revised General Test score report. The school code to use to submit your GRE score is 3451. *The general GRE test is not required for students applying to our Ph.D. program. Ph.D. applicants are welcome to submit a GRE score if they wish, but applicants will not be at a disadvantage if they choose not to. The GRE is required for applications to our terminal masters programs (the S.M. and M.E. degrees).
- If required, an official TOEFL or IELTS score report. The school code to use to submit your TOEFL score is 3451. *TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for applicants whose native language is other than English and who do not hold a Bachelor degree or its equivalent from an institution at which English is the language of instruction. The score must be valid at the time of entry into the program. Note that a masters degree from an English-speaking institution does not meet this requirement.
- The application fee of $105.00
- Supplemental Data form (becomes available after application is submitted)
The GRE subject test is not required, but applicants are welcome to submit scores from a subject test if they wish to have it considered as part of their application. Applicants should chose which subject test to take based on their own preparation and interests. The school code to use to submit your GRE subject score is 3451.
We do not require an interview as part of the application process and we cannot offer applicants the opportunity for an in-person interview with the admissions staff. Attending a Ph.D. or Masters Programs admissions information session is the best way to have your questions answered in person. We also offer an online version of the Ph.D. information session for those who aren't able to visit campus in person. More information about our information sessions can be found here.
We require electronic submission of the entire application, including letters of recommendation and transcripts. Please do not send us any hard copy materials.
|September||GSAS Application becomes available|
|December 15th||School of Engineering Application Deadline (by 5 p.m. EST)|
|Mid-Late December||Review of applications begins|
|January||Review of applications continues|
|Early February||Review of applications continues|
|Mid February||Decision notifications are made by GSAS and School of Engineering|
|April 15||Reply/Decision date for admitted students|