How to apply
All prospective graduate students to our Ph.D., M.E., S.M., and A.B./S.M. programs apply to the School of Engineering through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS).
Students interested in the Master in Design Engineering with the Harvard Graduate School of Design will find information about applying to that program here.
Students interested in the MS/MBA: Engineering Sciences program offered jointly with Harvard Business School will find information about applying to that program here.
Students with bachelor's degrees in the natural or quantitative sciences, mathematics, computer science, or engineering are invited to apply.
All students begin graduate study in the fall term only.
What does the application require?
- Completed application form
- SEAS Supplemental Application (for PhD applicants only)
- Statement of Purpose
- Three letters of recommendation submitted electronically
- Transcripts; please upload copies of all transcripts to the Academic Background section of the online application; unofficial copies are acceptable.
- C.V. or Resume
- The Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) will not be accepting General GRE scores nor Subject Test GRE scores for applicants to our Ph.D. programs or masters degree programs in Computational Science & Engineering and Data Science. Applicants to these programs should not submit official or unofficial GRE scores to us nor mention them anywhere in their application materials. Either the GRE or GMAT is required for applicants applying to the Master of Design Engineering or the MS/MBA: Engineering Sciences programs. The applications for these programs are available via the Graduate School of Design or Harvard Business School, respectively. Questions about the SEAS GRE policy and requirements should be directed to the SEAS Office of Graduate Admissions at email@example.com. Note: this policy was officially changed in August 2020 may not yet be reflected on all Harvard University websites.
- If required, an official TOEFL or IELTS score report. The school code to use to submit your TOEFL score is 3451. *TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for applicants whose native language is other than English and who do not hold a Bachelor degree or its equivalent from an institution at which English is the language of instruction. The score must be valid at the time of entry into the program. Note that a masters degree from an English-speaking institution does not meet this requirement.
- The application fee of $105.00
We do not require an interview as part of the application process and we cannot offer applicants the opportunity for an in-person interview with the admissions staff. Attending a Ph.D. or Masters Programs admissions information session is the best way to have your questions answered. All information sessions will be virtual this coming year. More information about our information sessions can be found here.
We require electronic submission of the entire application, including letters of recommendation and transcripts. Please do not send us any hard copy materials.
|September||GSAS Application becomes available|
|December 15th||School of Engineering Application Deadline (by 5 p.m. EST)|
|Mid-Late December||Review of applications begins|
|January||Review of applications continues|
|Early February||Review of applications continues|
|Mid February||Decision notifications are made by GSAS and School of Engineering|
|April 15||Reply/Decision date for admitted students|