Skip to main content
First Year (G1)
- Early September:
- Notify your financial aid officers of any external funding.
Contact: Erin Bishop in SEAS Finance and Tracey Newman in GSAS Financial Aid.
- Make note of the course registration deadline.
(previously known as "Study Card Day"). See the GSAS Policies Academic Calendar.
- Register for courses before the deadline (previously known as "Study Card Day")
- Mid-January: Deadline for submitting materials to be reviewed at the January CHD meetings.
- Late-January: Course registration deadline (previously known as "Study Card Day").
- Mid-February: Deadline for submitting materials to be reviewed at the March CHD meetings
- April 1: Research Advisor Selection Form/Research Assistant appointment form due to Office of Academic Programs.
- Early-April: Deadline for submitting materials to be reviewed at the April CHD meetings.
- Note: The April CHD meeting is the last CHD meeting in all academic year. CHD does not meet over the summer. Remember to plan ahead.
Second year (G2)
- Teaching Fellows (TFing):
- G2’s are required to serve as a Teaching Fellow in either the Fall or Spring semester.
- Make sure you complete the TF form once you line up a TF position!
- Qualifying Exam:
- G2’s are required to take their qualifying exam in either the Fall or Spring terms.
- Email quals_defenses@seas to book a room. If you book your own room (e.g., external to SEAS) you must still email quals_defenses@seas well in advance in order for your required documentation to be ready, else your exam cannot take place.
- Upon completion of the exam, students are required to submit the Designation of Research Committee form to OAP.
- If you plan to request a delay of the qualifying exam, complete a Request to Delay Qual Exam form. Note that delays until September (i.e. start of G3 year) are typically approved as a matter of course
- Late-January: Course Registration Deadline (previously known as "Study Card Day"). See the GSAS Policies Academic Calendar.
- May 1: Advising Agreement form due to OAP.
- May: Commencement and diploma options for Masters en Route / Continuing Master’s students - You can apply to receive your S.M. degree en route to your PhD after you have completed eight of your core courses (this requirement may depend on area). You will receive your S.M. diploma, and participate in the Commencement if you choose to. However since you will be considered a non-terminal degree recipient, you will not be able to join the ceremony in Sander's Theater.
Third year (G3) and beyond
- Meet with your Research Committee at least annually, as indicated by your area's expectations.
- Send any changes to your Final Program Plan to the CHD for review. See the CHD page for submission dates.
- Inform OAP of any changes to your research committee.
- PhD candidates can review their eligibility to receive an SM en route.
- Early-September: Course Registration Deadline (previously known as "Study Card Day"). See the GSAS Policies Academic Calendar.
Completing your degree
- Check out FAS deadlines here (Registrar) or here (GSAS)
- Complete the degree application via my.harvard by the Registrar's deadline.
- Book a room for your final defense by emailing quals_defenses@seas.
- If you schedule your own room (e.g., external to SEAS) you must still email quals_defenses@seas well in advance in order for your required documentation to be ready, else your defense cannot take place. You must also get agreement from your full committee to hold your defense in a non-SEAS room.
Dissertation Submission and Commencement
- Find out the rules for formatting and submitting your dissertation to FAS. GSAS has formatting guidance as well.
- The best way to share your dissertation with others is by linking to the DASH copy. DASH uses persistent URLs and provides you with download statistics, and the DASH copy of your PDF will not include the signed Dissertation Acceptance Certificate (DAC). If you choose to post or share your PDF in some other way, you should remove the DAC page so that readers do not have access to the scanned signatures.
- Get ready for commencement by updating your email and other contact information via my.harvard.edu.